Monday, August 31, 2015

Suggested readings from Aug. 31, 2015

Note: Each block of text actually is a link to a story or a web page that I am commenting on. Click on that text and it will take you to the page being referred to.

It is in the middle of the back-to-school-time and it is weird not to have any … but I expect to see a lot more school vehicles pass our house, now that summer (?) is over and kids are going back to school – since we have the state center for hearing-impaired kids just down the street from where we live (it is out on a island). I hope this selection of news from the last day of August you will find interesting if not thought provoking.

SIDE NOTE: From the 25 years ago file – I spent the day in the National Guard Armory in Raleigh, NC, packing equipment on box pallets, going to briefings, having a brief ceremony with the state adjutant general and saying good-bye to my family. My unit would spend the night on cots in the Armory’s rec room in preparation to departing for Fort Bragg the next morning.

In line with the back-to-school observation, this story from CBS News ... it seems the healthy lunch menu is resulting in a 56 percent jump on food wastage. HMMMM ... Imagine that.

Interesting view on Mitt Romney ... and whether he should throw his hat in the ring.

It seems the DJIA took quite a ride in August ... its worst in 17 years ... I suspect the wild ride is not over yet, folks, so strap yourselves in.

This StratFor analysis of the Middle East does not bode well for US hopes for peace. In fact, it seems that the Iran Nuclear Deal probably will make things worse rather than better as the violence escalates. Gee ... who'd a thunk it?

This is an interesting article on how the Iran Nuclear Deal essential makes the military option moot in case of Iranian leaders decided to go for a breakout ... which they already may have the capability of doing.

An excellent argument for not sending advisors to Iraq short of a declaration of war ... or at least a formal authorization of military force.

The BBC's view on the Trump phenomena ... interesting

As the Ukraine is finding out ... reaching a compromise often is very difficult, and resistance can be violent

More rhetoric to get us to run in circles, scream and shout about the world coming to an end because of climate change. The thing that bugs me is that these people who are spouting about how it is necessary to return carbon emission levels back to before the industrial revolution started (which, if I remember was when the earth was emerging from a mini-ice age) is that they are not willing to personally make the sacrifices necessary to make that happen ... otherwise, they wouldn't be using computers, eating food in the big cities, etc.

Ok, I accept renaming Mount McKinley as Denali ... because it apparently is what Alaskans want ... however, having said that, I really am getting tired of the new progressive trend to eliminate all references to European colonization of North America and erasing all references to the Euro-American history in this country. I just find it rather objectionable, to be that politically correct and anti-history and anti-"American"

The new defense meme for Hillary Clinton is that these classified e-mails have just recently been upgraded to classified levels ... I suppose that will wash with progressives and liberals and Democrats ... but I guess I am old school and I think she should have been smart enough at the time to recognize what should be classified - even if it was only confidential or NoForn - and treat it as such.

The war on fossil fuels continues ... I really wonder where these people come from. I guess they don't have a clue how integral fossil fuels and its byproducts are to modern industrial processes. And if you just eliminate them, the impact that is going to have on the lives of those who aren't rich enough to live off the grid.

This story almost made me laugh ... until I go to thinking about it ... and then it disgusted me. The hubris and condescension in this piece really is sickening. I find such a disrespectful attitude - not for Trump but for Americans in general - so sickening. To think these people are the gatekeepers of the information you receive as news every day ... and they think the vast majority of Americans don't deserve being treated with dignity and respect and that is fine to mock their values.

I am not sure what purpose this story serves. US subs have been breaking through Arctic ice for almost 60 years. Mainly to show other countries that we can do it ... and the area is to remain open to free navigation ... even if it is under the Arctic ice pack

A very excellent commentary on the 24 hour news cycle of cable/broadcast/internet TV

You have to hand it to those old pirates of Scandinavia ... they really were able to stir things up

Another story in the "run in circles, scream and shout" category ... and the only thing I will say is ... one day, a very bad hurricane WILL hit the Tampa Bay region and cause untold amounts of grief and damage. Of that I have no doubt, and I don't need any climatologist with some computer model to tell me that. And you know what, nothing, but nothing, man will be able to do will prevent it from happening.

I have ridden California's Highway 1 ... in my much younger days with my parents ... and it truly is one of the most scenic roads in America ... if you like to look off cliffs at the ocean.

This is a bit over the top (even for me) but I offer it up to challenge your assumptions

Dr. Carson seems to be getting more recognition ... I hope he turns out to be a viable candidate, because he has a lot to offer.

A rather accurate portrayal (from my own interaction with broadcast media types) of how "media" acts and why.

It is interesting that this march didn't come up on any of the main stream news sites ... It makes you wonder

Interesting commentary on the path we follow on racial issues

JTACs are like pathfinders and forward observers ... they jump in first and are out front spotting targets and bringing down ordinance on them ... Salute to these two valiant Air Force JTACs who died ... May we all meet on the Elysian Fields.

This article on the Iran Nuclear Deal is so accurate, it ain't even funny

Gee ... another of those "Who'd a thunk it?" stories. Buying organic at the grocery store is not really a good value, nor is it really all that good for the environment

As I have said repeatedly ... don't underestimate ISIS or the reach of Islamic Jihadism

Wow ... the Brits retired top soldier pulls no punches when assessing who is to blame for the rise of ISIS

This type of report is very disturbing ... no matter what your race or political positions, it really should bother you ... if it doesn't, then you are part of the problem

This commentary makes the point that the US Congress is failing not only the American people, but also the US Constitution, by not defending its prerogatives, rights and obligations now under assault, not only by the executive branch but also a runaway supreme court.

As Saddam found out in the First Persian Gulf War, ballistic missiles armed with merely conventional warheads are not a very good weapon, unless they are precision-guided munitions. This goes for missiles with ranges that reach intercontinental distances ... the only military purpose for such missiles really is to carry a nuclear warhead ... so why would Iran need to develop Intermediate Range and ICBMs ... unless it was planning on having the capability to use nukes for such things as an EMP strike.

OOPS ... it seems another Obama diplomatic "success" story is about to go in the crapper.

India has a way to go before it becomes a "great power" but I don't think there is any doubt, or should be, that it is an emerging power on the global stage ... a place it has been before in human history

I wonder if this will be another example of President Obama ignoring the law and Congress meekly acquiescing to his edicts

I post this merely so you can reflect on your own  on the hubris and bias of the Washington Post. Please, look carefully at each segment and look for signs of how the writer considers the subject. Note: I make no claim to being balanced in this blog … it is my opinion and I openly will make that disclaimer.

Poor Woodrow ... I am not sure what he did to deserve this politically correct fate ... other than be commissioned by an old Southerner.

I wonder if the author of this commentary is prescient ... I suspect he is. It really is sad, because the franchise model has helped so many people out of poverty.

When reading a story, it always is helpful if the media outlet identifies what axes each of their sources have to grind ... but I guess that didn't fit the NYTimes agenda for the day

No comments: