Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Suggested Readings from Aug. 24, 2015

Note: Each block of text actually is a link to a story or a web page that I am commenting on. Click on that text and it will take you to the page being referred to.

Well, I see the world survived today … although, as expected, the financial markets went for one hellava ride. Anyway, I continue with my news editor’s view of the news of the day … with some backgrounders and analysis. You are welcome to skewer my views with your own at any time.

It seems the North Koreans are going to back down from going to war ... which is good news. Only this twice annual ordeal (more often is Mr. Kim is feeling ignored) really gets old after awhile ... and that breeds complacency which then can really lead to bad things happening.

Which is precisely the problem with the situation on the Korean Peninsula, as this article points out.

Another perspective on the negotiations on the Korean Peninsula

German Chancellor Merkel renews her plea for the pretty much ignored Minsk Agreement of last winter. I hope somebody is listening in Moscow.

France honors the three American heroes ... a fitting honor

Another salute to the heroes ...

Ok ... a moment of levity here ... but it is too cute not to share

Shucks, I think SpaceX needs to send the Space Station a case of Jim Beam or Jack Daniels

A tip of the old K/steel pot to this Colorado high school football coach and his team ... and a big razzberry for the School District leadership.

Another brief break for a bit of levity ... enjoy

The Ayatollah is not going to be happy with our president ... not that I really think President Obama seriously would consider any military attack ... and besides, in 18 months, he won't be calling the shots and I suspect that any evidence of mischief on the part of Iranians in this deal can be obfuscated for that long.

I haven't decided if this story on a potential US attack on Iran's nuclear sites is serious, disinformation or some type of psychological warfare operation.  It really makes no sense to me, and has me wondering why people in the know on contingency plans would be talking about them.  Is this an attempt to forestall any attack? Who knows.

F-35 - A case for it being good enough, where better and best probably are the real enemy

The Army chief faces a tough decision - women in combat units - and I am glad I don't have to make it. I have my own opinion, but it is based on my own experiences in a mix-gender unit from 25 years ago ... and based on that ... I would not want to serve in a mixed gender infantry company or tank company or maybe not even in an artillery battery ... but then, times and attitudes change ... and I hope whatever he decides it makes the Army more effective rather than more politically correct.

In essence, this is a knee-jerk response to something that the National Rifle Association was chartered to do when it was founded. It is there to enhance the marksmanship of citizens and militia members alike. Yes, it is now known more for its role as a defender of Second Amendments rights for individuals to keep and bear firearms, but first and foremost, it always has been built around firearms safety.

Interesting perspective from a millennial ... but it is a bit flawed. It assumes - like the neo-conservatives have - that the desire for freedom and goods is universal ... it is not. So, trying to build nations in the Middle East that mirror the values of Western culture is pretty much destined to fail, no matter how you approach it.  Of course, that leaves the question how do you effectively fight Islamicists and Jihadists? I am not sure there is an answer to that that does not involve a hot war.

This is an interesting list of corporate leaders - and it reflects the emphasis the military has long put on leadership ... versus just management

There is such supreme irony in this situation.

I am not sure I accept this view of kudzu ... although I saw it could grow pretty fast ... and did stories on it back in the 1990s talking to the experts of the day ... and their stories don't quite jive with this person's

An interesting review of a new book about American soldiery called Men At War ... it looks like it should be a good read to understand the costs of battle on the individual.

The more  I listen to Carly Fiorina, the more I am impressed ... if for no other reason is she is not cowed by the celebrity of her interviewers.

There is much irony in this story to me. How understanding of the WaPo to think the Democrats are right to stand firm on things they believe in ... and how it won't be their fault when Congress can't seem to find a way to fund the government ... of course, if the shoe was on the other foot, as it was a just a few years ago, it all the Republicans fault that the government faced being shut down. Sigh ... it really is sad.

Interesting article on the evolution of Pope Francis

No comments: