Friday, August 28, 2015

Suggested readings for Aug. 28, 2015

Note: Each block of text actually is a link to a story or a web page that I am commenting on. Click on that text and it will take you to the page being referred to.

Personal aside: 25 years ago today, shortly after 10 a.m., I got a phone call at work. It was a mobilization call prefaced by the words “this is a raging bull alert.” I had received “grazing herd” calls before but this was the first time I heard the code words that indicated that the alert was for real. I was told my unit was on alert for possible mobilization for Operation Desert Shield and that my transfer had been approved. I was to go to my old unit, turn in my field gear and pick up my service record. I went and told my boss that I officially was on alert for mobilization but it was not for publication yet. I also asked for the rest of the day off, which he granted. As I walked back to my desk to close up my terminal, etc., my deskmate, whose desk faced mine, asked what was wrong. He said you went “white as a sheet” when you got that call. I told him I couldn’t talk about it, but I would be gone for the rest of the day. And then I went home got the stuff I needed to turn in and took to the old unit’s Armory. That night, I told my daughters that Daddy may have to go to war. The youngest screamed at me for 15 minutes, while the oldest just left the room quietly.

Back to the day’s news … well, the world hasn’t fallen apart yet, but there really are some strange things happening out there. I hope you find this selection articles edifying and provocative.

Would somebody please tell me by what right Hillary Clinton keeps getting away with spouting such fecal material. If had been one of the Republican candidates saying something like this about her, the world would come to a screeching halt as the offender would be pilloried and then frog-walked to the gallows.

Interesting perspective on the role of China in the global economy and comparing it to economic powerhouses going back to the Spanish in the 16th Century

In the wake of the Roanoke shooting, there is a certain element of truth to this article. I don't necessarily agree with the proposed solution because I think it would be ineffective and why enact something that won’t do what you want to do.

It is interesting to see how the progressives spin the Roanoke shooting, rather than call it what it was.

I love it when a major retail marketer decides to discontinue selling a product that progressives don't like, and they still criticize the company for doing so.

For a different view on why there is all this gun violence. It makes you wonder ... and having lived through the same period as the author I can see the points that he makes are quite valid.

The first big tropical weather system of the season makes its way today toward the US, leaving death and destruction in its wake.

CNN's retrospective on the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina. I was involved in some of the coverage of the aftermath and the mythology about how the federal government was responsible for the mess really is that, just a myth.

This identifies some of the key players in the Katrina drama … I worked closely with some members of Gen. Honore’s staff.

And Michael "Brownie" Brown has a very good point ... of course he is everybody's favorite whipping boy, but his agency only had about 1,100 employees ... and they are expected to be the cavalry? Unfortunately, the two people most directly responsible for the disaster - basically the New Orleans mayor and the Louisiana governor - in popular mythology - get a pass ... it was their decisions that created the environment for the catastrophe.

And the mayor of Los Angeles has the right idea ... prepare for disaster .. and prepare for the aftermath ... unfortunately, that is not a politically acceptable approach.

The market seems to have calmed down for the moment, but it may just have been early squalls rolling through before the real storms hit.

There is a certain logic to Dr. Carson's suggestion that the VA basically be absorbed back into the DOD. Of course, progressives would throw a fit.

Iran keeps doing curious things surrounding its nuclear program ... particularly at places suspected of doing weapons research.

I really don't know what evidence this retired Army general bases his statement on, but let me say that it is definitely not outside the realm of possibility. In fact, I have often wondered why, given the connections the Iranians have, the Iranians weren't in this position.

And then you read a story like this about Pakistan ... and you really should remember that the father of the Islamic Bomb was actively trying to market his design to a whole bunch of countries. Why not Iran?

When looking at politics - presidential politics - it is good to remember that nothing is impossible ... and I think the pundits are beginning to understand that

Interesting indictment of our political elite living inside the Beltway ... you really do wonder sometimes what planet they are living on ... or is that in what universe?

Once again the NLRB rides again (Pappy wasn't a big fan of the NLRB). And the progressives achieve what they want by judicial fiat that overturns decades of settled and established law. Ain't it wonderful how the progressives skirt around democratic principles when they are inconvenient

Another incident where those silly folks on the left just can't seem to get their act together when dealing with things military. This is such a stupid faux pas that is no wonder why so many veterans and military people really don't like liberals and progressives.

It may pay to watch South America for a while ... it seems the Venezuelans are being rather ham-handed with Columbians living on the border.  I guess they need to crank up a foreign devil to distract the people from the government's incompetence ... Hey, it not the province of just right-wing dictators you know.

Interesting article looking to the future of the Army in today's political and economic environment ... and how the outgoing Army COS made some good points.

Ok, all together now: Run in circles, scream and shout, the world is coming to an end.

It may be shaped more like a cigar ... but a blimp is still a blimp

And finally, this is cool stuff ... science fiction becoming a reality ... well at least it has the potential to become reality

No comments: