Saturday, August 29, 2015

Suggested readings from Aug. 29, 2025

Note: Each block of text actually is a link to a story or a web page that I am commenting on. Click on that text and it will take you to the page being referred to.

Another side note: On this day, 25 years ago, I received the actual mobilization call while at work, again, shortly after 10 a.m. This time they told me to report the following day (Friday) at 8 a.m. to the armory in Raleigh for mobilization processing. That meant, basically, if it was Army I was to bring it. I finally talked to my oldest daughter … who told me she didn’t see anything to talk about. I was going off to war. She didn’t want me to. She didn’t like it, but it was going to happen no matter what we said. And that was out of the mouth of 13-year-old girl. It was one of the moments when I was so proud of her.  My 9-year-old also was a help. She played help Daddy stuff his duffle bags by jumping up and down inside of them to pack things down. Back at the office, where I was scheduled to be laid off the end of October because the afternoon paper in Fayetteville had been folded into the morning newspaper and 10 newsroom staffers were getting released, my editor promised me I would have a job for at least two months whenever I got back, to help ease my return to civilian life.

This is a righteous rant ... and something I think I have told activists more than once. If you want change, then work for it. Do the hard work at getting people out who agree with you to make the effort to change the laws ... Otherwise, take a hike and don't bother me.  Such is the case on restrictive gun control. It is not about how much money the NRA can spend ... it is the fact that it, as an organization, is willing to get out there with its message and get people involved, who then give them money. If you really believe in your cause, there is nothing stopping you from doing the same. Just don't expect instant gratification. It is going to take lots of long hours putting in hard work.

This is a warning that needs to be considered ... I have warned about it for four decades, personally fell into its trap, and eventually dragged myself out ... but not without some serious costs being inflicted on me. No, debt is not your friend. It has its uses, but in the long run, sometimes the costs of it are more onerous than just not incurring it.

Another righteous rant ... this time on climate change ... there is reality and then there is theory ... and, believe me, reality trumps theory every time. And if you really want to start a furball of a fight, just try to start telling people that they have to lower their expectations.

The reason this bothers me is that progressives tend to want to dismiss the view that sometimes it really isn't about victimhood ... or rather the victimhood is self-induced. Sometimes, minorities can be just as racist, bigoted and prejudicial as any one else.

In a normal world, an injunction against an entity in one jurisdiction would extend to all jurisdictions under the same law being enjoined. Just not in the Obama Administration which tends to ignore legalities that it finds inconvenient.

And Democrats and progressives still insist that requiring a photo identification to prove that the person voting indeed is the person presenting themselves alive and in person to the polling judge really isn’t needed or necessary. Hey, it doesn't matter that in 141 counties (so far) in the US there are more registered voters than there are eligible residents. HMMMM? Any potentialities for voter fraud here, anyone? This also is how graveyards vote … and they do and have … my grandfather voted six months after he died.

I know Michigan roads have a reputation for being rough and full of holes, but I am having trouble accepting that this driver - 72 years old or not - didn't know he or his trailer hit something.

While this story pulls on emotional heart strings, I wonder why these people expect themselves to be bailed out again. I understand all the problems, and I would hope one of those non-profits would hook them up with good attorneys who will pursue the shady contractors and fraudsters ... But at what point does the individual have to take the responsibility for running their own lives rather than turning to the government - whether local, state or federal, it doesn't matter - to provide them with new housing.

Victor Hansen adds his view on the Democrat presidential candidate field. Who would have thunk up pointing out it is populated with old, white people who are career politicians ... just a really diverse bunch, I guess.

Interesting opinion piece - oops, news story  - from the Washington Post on the DC circuit appeals court upholding the ban on demonstrators on the plaza in front of the Supreme Court Building ... I am torn about this, because I understand the desire to maintain decorum in the area surrounding the court ... I also understand why demonstrators want to chant and wave their placards as close as possible.

I found this to be a very excellent and interesting analysis of the Donald Trump campaign and why it seems to be meeting with some success. And why the "elites" inside the New York City-Washington corridor are so clueless and mystified.

Another poster child for "All Lives Matter" and for people to tone down the anti-authority rhetoric ... It ain't helping folks and it could get a lot worse because of it.

An excellent review of the reasons why dropping the a-bombs to end World War II was not only necessary but justified.

This does a good job of explaining why the NLRB is full of it on its ruling on subcontractors and franchisees. It really is about going after those with the deeper pockets and not really about who is or was legally liable.

Again, I wonder why Democrats are allowed to get away with this fecal material. It really is baffling to me as an old school journalist ... but that, I guess, is my problem  ... I was and am too old school for the 21st Century

One would hope our Canadian brethren would have better sense, but I suspect they won't.

This debate tears at me ... because I have had to make this choice, whether to continue heroic measures or accept that the time had come to let nature take its course and make someone comfortable as possible in what were to be their last days.  To this day, I still second guess myself on this decision.  I am not an advocate of assisted suicide, but I also am not an advocate of fighting the natural course of life beyond reason.

Last item for tonight: This is how life should be ... for man or beast.

No comments: