Sunday, September 6, 2015

Suggested readings from Sept. 6, 2015

Note: Each block of text actually is a link to a story or a web page that I am commenting on. Click on that text and it will take you to the page being referred to.

Well, this being the middle of the Labor Day weekend, it seems not all that much is happening … still I found a number of articles I commend to your attention. Of course, with my usual commentary, which you – by all means – are welcome to disagree with, lambaste and otherwise criticize.

Oh, my Kitties ... The Marching Band is in trouble ... I guess people in today's hyper-charged, I-want-take-offense-at-everything, politically correct environment just want see dirty things on the field. Sigh, well, KSU people apologized to those offended, but to me, it really looked like the outline of the Starship Enterprise and not some phallic symbol. Of course, if  your mind is obsessed with things sexual, I suppose everything looks like a phallic symbol. Maybe you should wash have your momma wash your mind out with soap.

Unfortunately, no matter how  you want to spin it ... this is true.

Two points for this young man for standing tall in Texas

It will be interesting to hear this suspect's explanation of why he opened fire on two police officers in Law Vegas - he is fortunate that he isn't dead.

I remember when this was making the headlines ... being the news editor for the daily newspaper in Dodge City, Kansas (No, Matt Dillon never was a US Marshal there and there wasn't a US Marshal based in Dodge until like 1987). I guess the science is really settled.

Another flashback ... to last year about this time ... gee ... makes you wonder sometimes

And then there was this story ... I don't think the science is as settled as some people want you to think ...

This is Pope Francis' effort to help solve the migrant/refugee "crisis" ... This, in my humble opinion, is what the church - any church worth its salt - should be doing and urging its parishioners to help in doing. It isn't something, like some progressives I know who say "let the government do it, because they have more money." How freely they advocate spending other people's money and denigrate Christians.

Somebody, somewhere along the line, needs to start going to jail ... there are a host of laws being broken.

I guess we all need to be reduced to sack cloth and ashes ... since we are so profligate in the US with our uses of water. It doesn't matter that in some places (even in the US) water just isn't as plentiful and the infrastructure just is not there to bring it to where it is needed. Granted, North Americans are extremely lucky to have all the fresh water they want, basically, while people around the world don't always have that luxury. Of course, we are to flail ourselves over our "privilege" rather than look at the conditions that make it so difficult to bring the infrastructure and water service to 665 million people under served. It isn't a matter of throwing money at it ... there are other more serious problems that need to be solved first … like wars and corruption and political oppression and using water as a weapon.

This piece basically is just propaganda ... why do I say that? One, it is a German Government press release. Two, it absolutely ignores and dismisses the reason for the refugees. Want to solve the problem ... the figure out a way to stop the flow of refugees being necessary. Otherwise, eventually, you will be overcome with the flood.

If this is true ... which I doubt ... then somebody didn't get the memo on the Mars One mission: IT IS A FREAKING ONE WAY TRIP. You don't want to ban sex ... you probably want to encourage it as it is going to be a permanent settlement on Mars. You know, propagate the species et al. I think this is a tempest in a teapot stirred by those who are HUFF PO to mock the concept of the Mars One Mission.

While this commentary probably is technically legally correct in its assessment, I have no doubt the top leaders in the House and Senate don’t have the guts or the integrity to do as suggested. The political will just is not there to defend both the letter of the law and the prerogatives of Congress on the Iran Nuclear Deal. It is, as I have said before, that we have abandoned being a nation under constitutional law ... and are ruled by what men say, rather than what the law really says … even if is badly crafted and full of unintended consequences. 

All I can say is the San Francisco-based 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals rides again ... they really are a train wreck and have been for quite some time.

And if this is happening on 20 Jan 2017 ... then I will be taking a fifth and probably drinking the whole thing in one sitdown

All I can say to this commentary by Mr. Chapman ... is a loud AMEN. I may not like what is happening ... but it ain't the fault of the system. It works fine ... we just have idiots and narcissists trying to run the show

You know something: the shoe in this article fits both Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders ... amazing, isn't it.

I don't necessary agree with this author that we should scorn a whole generation ... although I think he has a point about the ant-vaxers, anti-gmo folks and those who want to live organically ... but then again. who am I to say

I don't normally bother with anything Sarah Palin says ... but sometimes I have to agree with her.

Another basic economics lesson on the folly of raising the minimum wage ... not that anyone really is paying any attention.

Them hummingbirds are pretty smart cookies ... getting hawks to act as their body guards. I could tell you the old joke about how a hummingbird calls its mother ... but I can not do it justice ... Pappy was the master at delivering that joke, especially the punch line.

No comments: