Friday, July 13, 2012

Women in the Infantry

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/12/12684555-women-in-the-infantry-forget-about-it-says-female-marine-officer?lite

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-05-13/women-combat-military-marines/54942550/1

http://www.mca-marines.org/gazette/article/get-over-it-we-are-not-all-created-equal

Women in the infantry? Some want to see it, others don’t … count me with the others, at least not in mixed gender units.

It is an interesting argument and one that the US will have to wrestle with over the coming years as it tries to level the playing field, especial for women officers in the military.

There has been some (in my opinion, not enough) debate about what role women should play in the military. Should they be allowed in fighting roles or not? Well, I guess that depends on the service. Having not had experience in the air services, I cannot comment with any experience on that issue. But I have had experience both afloat and on the land (with on the land having had women in my unit) and those experiences have definitely brought me down on the side of those who say that women should not serve in infantry units.

Now, I am not saying – nor have I ever said – that women cannot make outstanding combat fighters. They can, without a doubt. In fact, I suspect that women can be far more ruthless killers than men but I can’t prove that or document it. I would just rather not have them in my unit, thank you, as it creates too many distractions and potential problems.

The Marine captain, in her article says women should get over it, “we are not all created equal.” That’s for sure, in so many ways.

The point I always argued was a) standards have to be uniform and b) how do you deal with basic biology and primal instincts. You see, at least in my experience, standards are not uniform because allowances “have to be” made for the differences in feminine physiques from the male physique. While in cardio fitness this may have some validity, but when it comes right down to it, if you have to hump 30 pounds of personal gear and ammunition, plus at least 70 to 100 pounds in a rucksack, then it doesn’t matter if you are a man or a woman … if you want to do the job, you have to do it, period … no slacking.

That is life in the infantry, and as the captain pointed out, history shows that women, for the most part, are not able to do it over time physically.

But it is the other half, part b, which I have found to be really problematical. I am sorry, but to hijack an old cliché: Men are men and women are women and ever the twain shall meet. I don’t care what you do, or how you try to do it, hormones win every time. To think otherwise is to be incredibly naïve … if not stupid, but at least silly. You absolutely have to find a way to deal with the taboo subject of the sexual dynamic.

Granted, I grew up in a time when the male-female roles were fairly well defined and that is changing. Part of me always says “women and children first” and the guys take the hindmost and their chances. Sorry, I was well conditioned as a child and a young man.

As part of my observations, I noticed that a whole bunch of hue and outcry was made over the execution of an Afghan woman on video. Her crime, apparently, was she was sleeping with both of the rivals for the leadership of that particular Taliban group. That sums up my argument against women in my unit in a nutshell. No matter what happens that conflict is going to happen. Not might happen, it WILL happen.

Having been the non-commissioned officer in charge of taking care of 10 to 35 soldiers, I can tell you that it is a tough enough job without having to factor in allowances for the different genders. Nope, don’t want to go there, ever again. Been there! Done That! Lord, I wish I could lose the T-Shirt!

Having served on US Navy destroyer with a crew of little more than 225, I can attest that adding the sexual dynamic to that equation would have just made what was difficult at times, down right impossible. You pack 200-plus people on something that is maybe a football field long, about the width of maybe a four-lane street, with two or three decks, crammed with power-plants, workshops, living spaces and weapons systems (make a mistake in the first or the last and you definitely risk shortening not only your life span but everybody else on board) for extended periods of time and I guarantee you: Bad things will happen. Again, it is not a case of might happen. Bad things will happen.

When bad things happen in military formations, well, bad things happen at the sharp end of the stick and people die. You may not want them to die, but they will. Even when things are going swimmingly down in the trenches, people will die. It is what happens in war, which is what the military formations are designed for.

Ok, I will grant you, there are many roles for women in the military, but being in the infantry, or armor or on a small warship like a destroyer or a submarine is not one of them.

No comments: