Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Canadian health care

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Investigators+sift+through+debris+field+Saskatchewan+plane/6618024/story.html

Ok, this will be short and sweet.

Yes, I know the above story is taking things to the extreme, but it is not all that far out of the ordinary. Judging from the stories told to me by my Canadian brethren, while not that extreme, long waits (and occasional deaths) are the norm rather than the exception in Canadian hospitals. This is what you get with a single-payer, government-run healthcare system. You hear of similar stories from Britain’s NHS.

This is not to say that when you DO get treated that you do not get top-notch care, usually. Although, if it is anything out of the normal, you have to expect not to be treated locally but referred to the specialty centers in places like London, Ontario, or Toronto (at least in Ontario, I am not all that familiar with the other provinces). Those referrals often take months and not days.

So, if you want that style of medical care, which you will pay for through taxes (just as the Canadians do), then I guess there is nothing I can do to dissuade you.

No comments: