Thursday, July 12, 2012

Is this real?

Background reading (in this case required)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/12/mitt-romney-bain-departure_n_1669006.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/mitt-romney-and-his-departure-from-bain/2012/07/12/gJQAASzUfW_blog.html

Give me a break. Do the progressives of this country think we are all ignoramuses? I guess, because maybe we are.

This hissy fit launched by the Obama campaign staff is really something else. Read the charges in the first story, and then read the WaPo’s story and you see what I mean.

Except for the fact that Mitt Romney is a political and public figure, he ought to be suing some people for libel. At least, the last time I studied my media law it was libelous to label someone as a felon, when they are not. It is bad enough to accuse someone of a felony when you do it with malice (which in media law means a “reckless disregard” as to whether what you are alleging is true or false or not), which in this case it is pretty obvious that is what the Obama campaign is doing. Of course, being a public figure,  Romney knows it is open season on him when it comes to slander and libels.

You know why I have so little respect for the administration of President Barack Obama? This kind of staff work is why. This kind of political campaigning is why.

I don’t like Mitt Romney. I don’t like a lot of what he says. I don’t like a lot of what conservatives say (being a libertarian myself … well mostly), but I don’t really see them outright misrepresenting the truth (ok, lying) like this. (Ok, you have the wackos out on the fringes that a Birthers and Truthers, etc., but they are not people on the staff of a major political candidate)

Not only is it an appeal to class divisions (resent this person because they did better financially or socially than you did in life) but it really is, if one is to accept the Washington Post’s version in its fact checker, flat out lying. And the Washington Post has not been, at least in my memory, really sympathetic to Republican candidates.

Unfortunately, I will bet that a large number of people who plan to vote will never hear or read the WaPo piece and will believe this trash.

It is sad, in the binary world of politics of the United States today, that we have to pick and choose between the lesser of two bad choices. But as things stand now, I regret to tell our president, who I have never cared much for, that his campaign tactics are making it harder and harder to choose him as the lesser of two evils.

And the problem is: It really isn’t necessary to treat voters and the American people as if they are absolutely ignorant. They may be, but don’t be so damn obvious about it.

1 comment:

Michael Raymond said...

Being (mostly) libertarian myself, I agree with you.

The Obama campaign appears to be getting desperate in its message(s). This latest "Romney may be a felon" ploy is disgusting. Easier to run on I guess than 1000+ days w/o a budget from the Senate, 40+ months of reported unemployment above 8%, fewer net jobs in the overall economy and drastic decline of household income over the last 3 years.