Friday, July 27, 2012

Climate change: Let’s all panic now

Rare levels of Greenland ice melt
NASA reports satellites show ice melt
Sudden massive ice melt in Greenland
Not so fast ... seems it has happened before
Oh, and by the way, there is this rift in Antarctica that is melting ice
Ok … I will admit that I am very agnostic about anthropomorphic climate change. Recently, the news was about a NASA release that “unprecedented” amounts of the ice sheet in Greenland (which really isn’t green much these days as it is almost completely covered in ice) melting due to higher than “normal” temperatures.
Oops, later they admitted that it seems to happen about every 150 years or so, and the last time was in the 1880s. Maybe this isn’t unprecedented. And maybe, just maybe, it ain’t all the humans fault.
Oh, that is the last story cited up top … it seems that this huge rift valley has been discovered in Antarctica. This rift allows warmer seawater to come in under the snow and ice pack and … melt some of it, weakening the ice shelf, which in turn makes it more susceptible to break off. Oops, another example of Mother Nature doing her own thing without having us humans to blame. You see rifts are where the crust of the earth comes up from below … you know, volcanoes, warm rock, that kind of stuff.
Ok, I admit we humans are doing a good job trashing the parts of the planet where we are and that not only does change the environment but also the ecology. But, while we could do a whole lot less trashing, the problem always has been how and who does it. Being on top of the pile, I don’t want to go down. Sorry, but if it is up to me, I ain’t going. Besides, I am probably not going to be here long enough longer to make a whole hill of beans difference.
The real problem is that nobody wants to go down, and everybody wants to come up. I wish them luck. Granted, there probably are enough resources on the planet, if used efficiently and wisely, to make that happen. But we all know how wise and efficient us humans really are.
So what do you do? My suggestion, as heartless as it may sound, is to let Mother Nature take her course. And by that I don’t mean that we humans should try to blow each other up, just because we can. Of course, that always is an alternative, but I suspect about the time we humans start really coming to blows, Mother Nature already will have stoked the pot, so to speak, with famines, plagues and other pestilence. That is her way of evening things out. She does it with “wild” animals, why should we human beings be all that different? Because we are sentient enough to realize that God exists? As thankful as I am for being here (there were several times when I wasn’t so sure and one time, I am convinced I got told it was not my time yet, but I know you all won’t probably believe that so leave me with my own delusions), I also think that we really are not in control of things either. And I don’t think we should delude ourselves into thinking that we really are. God may control things but I long ago gave up asking where God was leading us and just said my Serenity Prayer and tried to find the strength to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
Still, us humans, being as cocky as we are, like to think we really are in control of events and our environment. So, we get all in a dither about ice melting, when it seems to be a rather routine occurrence when you look at the geologic history of the world.
Oh, well, we will die on December 21 (or is it 23) this year anyway.

No comments: