Sunday, July 22, 2012

Life imitating Art

Ancient aquifer discovered in East Africa

This report is almost funny. Not because it isn’t important and good news that hopefully will provide much needed fresh water in a region that desperately needs it. No, it strikes me as funny because I read about this “discovery” a couple of years ago … only it was in novel, a work of fiction, a fantasy.

I wish I could remember the author or the title of the book, but it slips my mind. But a synopsis of a subplot in the story is that one of minor characters is this Western scientist in Ethiopia, or maybe it was Somalia, doing research on just such a development of an ancient aquifer that will solve the region’s water problems. She actually finds it, but the war that rages the area engulfs her expedition and she is captured by the rebels after attempting to flee. This is a subplot to the book to the main plot which is a techno-thriller about some US Navy officer and his elite unit who are taking on terrorists.

I don’t know if the author knew about these efforts, but it just strikes me as funny how in this case Life apparently is imitating Art.

Strange world we live in.

No comments: