Friday, July 20, 2012

Bush v. Gore redux

http://piersmorgan.blogs.cnn.com/2012/07/18/justice-antonin-scalia-on-2000s-bush-v-gore-that-comes-up-all-the-time-and-my-usual-response-is-get-over-it/?hpt=hp_t2
I see where the progressives’ favorite whipping boy justice is telling them to get over the 2000 election.
Justice Anatonin Scalia is not necessarily one of my favorite justices but he is articulate and has definite views on how the U.S. Constitution is to be interpreted. I can respect that.
However, on the 2000 election: Yes, it is high time for people to get over it.
I would point out as he did that even if the lawsuit that the Gore campaign filed to circumvent the legal process in Florida to challenge election results and the secure ballot recounts had gone forward, and the wishes of the Gore campaign had been granted, http://www.factcheck.org/2008/01/the-florida-recount-of-2000/ Gore would have lost.
So, the court really did not decide the election. It only stopped what, in my humble opinion, was a very crude effort to hijack the election using the judicial system and give the loser the victory.
Of course, don’t tell Democrats that. They have spent the last 12 years throwing mud and doubt on the electoral process.
I suspect, although I hope my expectations are incorrect, similar mud and doubt will be thrown on this November’s ballot, especially if it is close.
Having spent many a night in local election offices, I know how hard these people work to get it right, for the most part.
However, I also know that stealing elections are a long American tradition (Particularly among Democrats: Can anyone say Pendergast and Dailey. IF you have never heard of them, then look them up.)
Let us hope that this year, it is different.

No comments: