Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Suggested Readings for July 28, 2015

Note: Each block of text actually is a link to a story or a web page that I am commenting on. Click on that text and it will take you to the page being referred to.
I hope you find this edition interesting and educational. Of course, you are welcome to disagree. I would not have it otherwise. If so inclined leave your comments here or on my Facebook Page. The choice is yours.

Interesting report on the efforts of the ISIS's public affairs office reaching out to other Arabs to encourage them about the benefits of the new Caliphate.

Another story about ISIS, this one trying to explain the attraction of ISIS to westerners who travel as pilgrims to join. It is interesting to me, because - in a way - it sort of explains the attitude of the Left, particularly progressives, toward the traditional American culture based on English Common Law and the rule of law ... which - whether you want to agree or not - really is under tremendous assault by progressives and liberals these days.

Assuming the numbers in this story are correct (since they are citing federal sources and the Pew Institute), it it does pose an interesting dilemma: If all the illegals in the workforce were sent packing, would the unemployed Americans be willing to pick up the slack. And if they were hesitant, the how high would wages have to go to entice them? Think about that for awhile.

I offer this link not because I am endorsing this site ... but because the first two paragraphs speak a truth that is so glaring. In fact, 25 years I was pointing out to people that this is the very reason that "friendly" fire incidents happen even in the highest and well-trained soldiers.

This commentary echoes a feeling I have been having with the situation in the Middle East for some time. And yes, I agree, that Obama is making pacts with the Devil over there and those deals are going to drag us into a quagmire that probably rival George Jr.'s misadventures.

Time on the war in Syria: Round and Round We Go, Deeper and Deeper We Go.

In the world? I suppose ... but I do think the key point in this survey was the comment: "The incumbent president is nearly always the winner of the most admired distinction, having placed first in all but 12 of the 68 years the question has been asked." And I am not all that certain that in some quarters in Kenya he is all that popular right now.

OOPSIE, I guess the President is not all that popular in China right now either. Well, that subtracts one-sixth of the world's population from the positive column

This article from StratFor offers a rather interesting perspective on how to consider geopolitics and its role in the Middle East.

Another point of view on US forces going to Turkey

The scary thing about the North Koreans is trying to figure out how serious to take them.

With due respect to the unalloyed brilliance of Dr. Hawking, Mr. Musk and Mr. Wozniak, but the genie is out of the bottle, gentleman. And if history has taught us anything, if it can be build/done, it will be done ... and yes used for nefarious, malevolent and evil purposes. No amount of posturing is going to change that.

I really do find it sad that Muslim-American actors seem to find them stereotyped ... but then, when I stop and think about it, Americans are stereotyped all the time in films made in other countries. I suppose the Left is protesting that as well ... ah ... no, you say. Sad, I guess ... but then I think of the British gentleman I meet every so often who has me stereotyped as a cowboy because I like to wear broad-brimmed style hats on sunny days.

Oh my goodness, a pro-supply side economics article on the Huffington Post ... is the world coming to an end? The same prescription also should be applied to the federal government and any number of state governments. Now, imagine, if Puerto Rico actually was a state, this waving the rules would be moot ... and besides, isn't it more than a bit racist to exploit Puerto Rican labor that way? Oh, and in case you missed it, the Puerto Ricans passed a referendum a while back asking to be admitted as a state.

And if you didn't know, this is why the rank and file out there are pretty much fed up with the inside the beltway establishment leadership of the Republican party.

This is in response to something that happened on some TV talk show ... I agree, is there any doubt the hue and cry that would have been raised had the roles been reversed. Hypocrisy rides again.

This is rather telling ... and probably while the United States really is doomed, as the Left continues to trash its history, culture and tradition.

Paul Greenberg is one of my favorite columnists (I used to work for the same newspaper chain he now does) and, as usual, he has a very valid point to make ... not that anyone is listening.

Mr. Williams, another columnist I like, makes a good point with his column here on Charleston and its aftermath.

And excellent review of why Trump is resonating, by Prof. Sowell. He is right, we are debating about the wrong things.

Here again is a story about the debate we should be having, but aren't, about women on the front lines.

I hope the Boy Scouts are willing to accept religious exceptions ... but given the attitude of take no prisoners with LGBT movement, I find it dubious.

And this project is an example why assimilation is being trashed in favor of multi-culturalism, which - in my humble opinion - will mean the death of freedom and liberty in the US - because the Balkanization with crush freedom of speech, freedom of conscience and religion and freedom of the press as too offensive and too full of micro-aggressions to be tolerated.

Please, pray tell me, that Secretary Kerry was not really implying that the President and he might opt not to obey the law. I am telling you, this administration appears to be doing its absolute level best to transform American by trashing the rule of law.

Yet another indictment of the VA health care system. Sorry, folks, go to government run health care and this is what you will get.

Take if for what it is worth ... but then again, maybe, article has its facts correct and the accepted narrative really is false.

Ms Paglia always strikes a chord with me ... and this one really resonates.

A counter to the liberal/progressive mantra that the defense budget needs to be slashed ... you know facts are irritating things sometimes.

An interesting commentary on the "subarming" of America. It makes a point that I have pointed out in the past on the meaning of the Second Amendment in historical terms

No comments: