Thursday, August 2, 2012

Vote with your feet

Gay Chik Fil A employees speak out

 

I get really tired of people talking like this. Understand, I am not a fan of Chik Fil A. It is not my taste.

Still, if you work for someone and you don’t like the views of the people at the top of the corporation, there is a simple solution: Cast your vote with your feet and go to work somewhere else. Chik Fil A doesn’t owe you a job and you don’t owe your labor to Chik Fil A.

The sad thing, as was apparent in the HuffPo piece above, is that the actual policies and treatment for gay employees was pretty much no different than any other employee and that is how it should be.

People should keep their sexual orientation out of the workplace, where it doesn’t belong in the first place. I know that is an unrealistic attitude to take but it is what should be happening. Just like people should keep their religion and politics out of the work place, people should not make an issue out of a lot of other things that absolutely no bearing on whether the person can do the job they are paid to do.

I suspect I speak for a lot of people who say that being homosexual is unusual, but if it is what you are, then have at it. However, don’t force your views on me or ask me to accept your homosexuality as “normal” because it is not. It is normal for you, as the GLBT, but it is not normal for the species as a whole. This is not to condemn you or to criticize you. It is merely pointing out the obvious.

I used to have red hair. When I was younger, I took my share of abuse for it. Didn’t like the abuse but I didn’t run around demanding that people had to accept me because I had red hair. No, I wanted them to accept me because I was a competent individual who did whatever job I was assigned to do to the best of my ability. If you didn’t like my red hair, too bad, that was your problem, not mine.

Can’t tell you how many times I was referred to as that “little red-headed son-of-bitch” but I got over it. Got called a lot of other names as well, but I survived. Heck, every person gets called names unless they are totally milquetoast.

As I have said before, I have no problem with individuals being GLBT or whatever. What they do with their private sex lives is no concern of mine. However, the operative word there being “private.” Unlike, some people (lord, it wasn’t all by a long shot, I know after living what is “affectionately” referred to the “Bible Belt” for most of my adult life) whose take on religion makes them intolerant in their own right. Just like gays are being intolerant of those who don’t accept them, these people can’t accept gays because they are different.

It really is sad that a relatively small group of people, all in the name of demanding attention and acceptance of their “unusual” sexual orientation have set out to redefine everyone else’s religious beliefs. You may not agree with their religious beliefs, but just as you expect them to respect yours and treat you with dignity, then each person should treat those with whom they disagree with respect and dignity.

Unfortunately, we are seeing precious little of that these days … anywhere (Not just in the US). Makes a real sad commentary on the human race, doesn’t it.

No comments: