Sunday, August 5, 2012

Difficult, huh?

Gay couples face big hurdles to parenthood

It seems that gay couples wanting to have children face significant hurdles to becoming parents. Ah, what part of Biology 101 did you miss?

The last time I studied the biology of various species, humans were not among those who could propagate without the involvement of two different genders: A male and a female. Now, I might be wrong, but I think that is what I remember. Now, it seems that most animals are that way. I don’t know why, but it seems to be the case.

However, I think there was a plan by God/Allah/Mother Nature/Evolution, etc., when the human species was not made asexual. I don’t know, but it seems to me that there is some reason why people are designed the way they are.

Marriage, beyond being a legal construct that we people use for divvying up various benefits from the state and some other mythologies, primarily was instituted among various and sundry cultures (amazing how it is almost universal among the human species) to provide a structure to protect, nourish and ensure the propagation of the members of that civilization’s next generation. Now, granted, in some societies, polygamy is permitted but then that goes back to the pack nature of man and the fact that the gestation period for humans is nine months.

So, if gay couples are the union of two members of the same sex, would someone explain to me how they naturally are going to propagate? I can see how, using modern medical techniques, it can be done, but that is artificially. Artificial methods, I understand can get expensive but then that is the price of technology. I also fail to understand how two males are supposed to accomplish this (females, being the new-life carriers, it is far easier to understand).

Ok, despite having the obvious biological hurdle which seems significant to me, I guess society has placed a few more hoops for people who want children but can’t have them have to go through.

I know I am wrong, but it just seems that some homosexual couples don’t realize the difficulties facing heterosexual people who for one reason or another merely want to adopt children. There are those people, who are not gay, who can’t have children naturally. For them, they usually seek to adopt children, but that process is not just going down to the local hospital and picking out a new son or daughter.

There are all sorts of rules that make it very difficult for heterosexual couples to adopt and the hurdles for single people (remember, they just represent one gender as well) to adopt are even more complex and difficult (although it has never been banned outright). So heterosexual couples have to go through a multitude of hoops (Just ask my dear wife, who adopted two in her first marriage – took 12 years) in order to have children and now same-sex couples are complaining. Give me a break.

In the linked article, it is interesting that all the cases involved two women. I didn’t see any involving two men. It would seem to me that in all fairness, the reporter should have included the problems two men would have adopting a child, given the difficulty a single man already faces. I mean, if we are going to equality here, it has to be equality before the law, right?

And then if two people of the same sex want to adopt, what about three or four? What about multiple parents? Why not? It seems to me that multiple parents would be a good thing. What about multiple parents with mixed genders? Oops, we are moving into the realm of polygamy, plural marriages and communal marriages.

No, unfortunately, this isn’t really about parenthood, or raising the next generation. Not really because it really is about individuals thinking merely about themselves and their own pleasure, sexual and otherwise.

Remembering that humans are bisexual and that therefore unisexual relations are basically a statistical aberration, it would seem that homosexual relations are indeed not the norm.

I realize that these people desperately need to feel accepted as individuals. We all need to feel accepted as individuals. However, they are not the norm and never will be (or the species will die off).

I say we tolerate their differences as long as they tolerate our right to disagree with them.

No comments: