Friday, August 10, 2012

This is my body

(Pro-choice "This is my body" video

Once again, my progressive former classmate out on the West Coast presents me with some low hanging fruit.
His Facebook page rages about how wonderful this video “monologue” is. He cites his role as a leader in Planned Parenthood and the National Abortion Reproductive Rights Action League/National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws. (NARAL defined)
I respect his right to hold his opinions, but I question the rationality behind those opinions.
Ok, to begin with, the mantra that is repeated throughout the video by a succession of women is that it is their body and they have the right to do with it as they wish. They won’t get much argument from me about that. It is theirs to do with as they wish and as such they need to take responsibility for that choice: Which means that I or people who disagree with them or their choices shouldn’t have to pay for those choices. Why should I be forced to pay for their decisions?
Heck, I am not trying to stop them from having sex. I am not trying to stop them from having orgasms or pleasure. If that is what motivates them, then have at it.
However, at the same time, don’t ask me to subsidize their desire for contraceptives or the possible need for an abortion. I think that is wrong.
As for the abortions, well, in a sense, I am ambivalent. I can’t have one. I never could and never was in the position where I wanted/could have/needed to ask someone else to have one, so it really doesn’t affect me. I know people close to me who could have made that choice and chose not to and I respect them highly for their decisions.
Still, I am not necessarily “pro-choice” either.
My reasons there are a bit complex. First, my dear sweet wonderful wife, who is passionately pro-life (anti-abortion to those of you who don’t know the lingo), has given me much to think about. The biggest question is “when do we become human beings?”
Now, we are not necessarily talking about that in the philosophical sense. I mean we are not talking about when we become sentient. Heck, I know some people that I would question whether they will ever become sentient. Still, the question remains, when does that little ball of cellular material become a human being and stop being a little ball of non-descript cellular material?
Does it happen at the moment of conception, when the two cells (male and female) merge? Does it happen with the now fertilized egg, which already has undergone several cell divisions, when it becomes implanted in the uterus? Is it after the little form has begun to take human shape? Is it after the new life becomes reactive to pain and other stimuli? Is it once its little heart starts beating? Is it once it is born and takes its first breath? Does it happen when the person has enough self-awareness to begin making decisions on its own? Just when does this magical transformation occur?
I don’t know, but I do understand the argument that once conceived that little bundle of cells has the potential to develop into only just one thing and that is a living, breathing human being.
So, the question is to the women who proudly proclaim that it is their body: At that point is it really just yours or are there now two lives at stake? When does that consideration come into the balance? I know that once the child leaves your body, you become responsible for its health and care and if you fail in that responsibility, society has chosen that it has the right to punish you; but what about before?
I guess that is a personal decision. I am glad I will never have to face it.
Still, it nags at me. If it is wrong deliberately take another person’s life, then when does that rule go into effect? When is it not in effect? What are the circumstances that determine each and how can we know so that we, as a society, can respond appropriately.
For the women in the video, that does not appear to be a consideration. No, the only consideration is themself. It is all I, I this, I that and my choice and my body. I am not sure that is a position a true progressive wants to take. I know as a libertarian, it is a hard question for me to answer.
Is human life so cheap that women can just throw it away because it doesn’t fit with their plans for their bodies at the present time? I understand the exceptions for rape and incest and other forcible violations. Even then, you are stuck with the question about the unspoken life yet to be. But to argue that you have a momentary right to pleasure or enjoyment regardless of the consequences seems to me to be irrational.
Yes, these women have a right to govern their own bodies. As I said, I have no argument with that. My only argument is who takes the responsibility for the new life that has been created and who has to pay for that woman’s choice.
Why is it right for those women to demand that I accept their views, while they refuse and reject my views? Where is the justice in that? Where is the fairness?
Just a thought or two to ponder.

No comments: