Sunday, December 20, 2015

Random thoughts for Dec. 20, 2015

Note: Many of these blocks of text actually is a link to a story or a web page that I am commenting on. Click on that text and it will take you to the page being referred to.

 This day often brings me into a reflective mood because 24 years ago my oldest brother was killed while serving in the Army in West Germany. I reflect on the price of freedom and liberty and how important they are to us as individuals in the United States ... and sometimes wish that they would accepted and appreciated around the world some day ... but the cynical realist  in me knows that probably will never happen because the cultural prerequisites will not be there and, in my humble opinion, fall further into disfavor with every passing day. 
 So, with that preface, once more into the breach, as they say, for a new edition of my random thoughts and commentary. Did you all watch the Democratic Presidential Candidate Debate on Saturday night? I tried, but the bovine scatology got so deep at one point I had to shut it off, which leads me to my first link.
 You can say this isn't so ... but please, I ask you, stop and think about what is happening with the backing of the left, the progressives and the Democrats. Listen to what the Democratic presidential candidates are saying and understand the implications of their words. The facts are there. I don't see conservatives doing the same ... and those GOP candidates who make similar calls ... well, I am against them too. ... ah, but what about abortion? What about the rights of the unborn human being? And when does a person become human enough to have those rights? What about GLBT rights? Look, I don't have any problem with gays and lesbians and trans doing what they want ... it is their choice and they will have to face the consequences for their choices, just like anyone else. I just ask that a) they don't try to compel me or anyone to approve or accept them or face criminal and civil sanctions from the government ... they don't have that right, nor should they have that power ... just as I will not try to compel them to approve or accept me. And b) lets stop redefining the language just so special interest groups can get money and benefits from the state/government. Sorry, but I draw the line at approving that.
 This kinda ranks up there with the leading bovine scatology of the year. I am sorry, but you want to start parsing it, we all ARE minorities. You want to be treated equal and with respect; then start treating everybody else with equality and respect and expect nothing less in return. You don't like the way you are being treated? Vote with your damn feet then. Gee, life may be difficult then ... guess what? Life is difficult. Is there discrimination? Damn straight ... but that is a multi-edged blade that cuts in so many different ways, it ain't even funny any more. Stopping discrimination starts with the individual, not with government sanctions, privileges and affirmative actions.
  With the SCOTUS taking up Affirmative Action once again, it behooves us to remember how it backfires. The sad truth is that in most cases, regardless of the reason for it, the outcome often is not satisfactory and comes with costs that none of us should have to pay.
 With the unrest on campus, undoubtedly the SCOTUS decision will add to it. Of course the argument is that the court is out of touch with the reality of racism on college campuses ... to wit, I think this lady has no clue what real racism was like.
 I will let Victor Hanson's words speak for themselves.
 And Thomas Sowell does an excellent job of demolishing the liberal view of what the SCOTUS should do. It really does boil down to "equal rights" and that means "equality before the law" and it does not mean special legal privileges for Group B over Group A. It is one of the reasons I really hate the uses the US tax code has been put to, because it literally lays waste to the concept of government treating all of us equally.
 Not to leave the Muslims out of the discussion on racism, I offer Alonzo Rachel's recent talk on that issue.
 Whilst dealing with social issues, here is an interesting article on the subject of polyamory and its negative potential impact on society
 A point I probably have been making for some time ... about climate change ... and now we can partially blame the aboriginal native Americans for it.
 Another facet on climate change ... which in our hubris to save the planet from something that has been happening for millennia.
 And last but not least - yet another example why our efforts to stem climate change are basically full of fecal material
 More thoughts still to be caught up in the pipeline ... but this is all for this juncture.

No comments: