Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Example of myopia

Battling the spread of anti-biotic resistant bugs

definition of Myopia - see #2

I laud the American Centers for Disease Control for all they do protecting us from the ravages of all the illnesses that tend to attack humans.

However, the news story on CNN illustrates what I mean by cultural myopia. All too often we tend to think that the cultural environment we live in is shared by all … bad news … it isn’t.

That is why all the wonderful things that the CDC tries sometimes doesn’t even make progress in the US. It would be nice if everybody would, as Pappy used to tell me when it was really important that I get his message, listen, hear and attend to what it is saying. Unfortunately, that is not happening and it is somewhat silly to think that it will happen.

Even worse, it leads to the “experts” trying to impose their vision on the less informed people so that they can be protected against themselves, their own follies and foibles.

We are seeing that in the US with the new health care financing regime popularly known as Obamacare (but really entitled the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act). All those silly people who didn’t have enough sense to get the health care insurance plan that these experts deemed adequate are now being forced to do so, whether they want to or not; or they will face a new tax (it is not a fine, the Supreme Court said it was a tax), because it is the right of every person within the US borders to get health care regardless if they want it or not.

Oh, and employers will face the new tax in a year or so, unless they get with the program.

Now, it seems that a lot of Americans were happy with their lot and pretty well understood the value they were getting for their premiums. Unfortunately for a lot of them (now numbering in the millions), their insurance carrier was forced by federal law to drop the policy that they had because they had changed some of its wording or the pricing schedules to reflect new realities.

I have no doubt that there will be winners and losers in this situation and the winners will be tickled pink at how much they will save. They ought to be … but at the same time, they need to acknowledge that someone else is picking up the tab for them.

I am not necessarily saying that is wrong, because that is how insurance works. Normally, however, it is a matter of choice for both the carrier and the insured. Removing the element of choice – and essentially that is what Obamacare does by setting its vision of what should be covered and what should not be covered – is what I disagree with.  But then, nobody asked me.

You see, I have a problem with the government/society protecting me from my own foibles. Granted, there are those who will argue that we have to be protected from vagaries of life that can inflict so much damage on us. I suppose they have a point, especially when they can’t get someone else to share the burden or risk with them. But then, I disagree. I see life as being basically unfair and our test is to see how we cope with reality. Getting others to carry our burdens without their consent is a little beyond me.

My fear, you see, is that when we do that, we surrender our freedoms and liberty to make choices. To me, that is more important … but then I have to admit I invested a lot in making sure I had health care insurance coverage as I got older.

I have paid and am paying a pretty penny for that coverage – in more than one currency – so, I don’t have to worry about the medical care that I or my wife have to pay for. It may not cost as much now as others, but then I made different choices … and one of those choices always kept one eye on the necessity of providing myself with health insurance at a certain age.

Unfortunately although I keep getting reassured that the federal government is not going to muck with it too much, I fear that the federal government in its good intent is going to change all the rules, negate all the planning and effort I put into setting up my coverage and basically mucking it all up.

You see the U.S. federal government has a long track record of mucking things up … and with me, going back on its word.

So, while I hope that the CDC folks can get their way, sort of, I look at the US and shake my head in doubt.

As for changing the habits in other places? Not a chance that is going to happen. That is what I mean by myopia. These experts can’t see past the borders and realize that things in other cultures and social environments just ain’t the same as they are down in Atlanta.

Anyway, I suspect that regardless of what happens, the human race will endure.

No comments: