Thursday, January 23, 2014

The minimum wage isn't a living wage

The minimum wage I make isn't a living wage - Jan. 22, 2014 - CNN



OK, folks, get ready for a rant.



I am sorry, but nobody, but nobody, can be guaranteed a "living wage" - period.



Why do I say that? Because you have to define what a "Living Wage" is and that varies from individual to individual to begin with.



The problem is what "standard" determines what "living" is? The basic standard could be three hots and a cot, as I say, which is three meals a day that can sustain a body and a cot under shelter from the elements to sleep in. Anything after that is gravy and up to the personal preference and expectation of the individual.



Obvious, in the situation described in the CNN story, the man is expecting far more than that, but then whose responsibility is it to see that he, and his family - wife and three kids, are given all the things that meet his expectations? Is it society's job? The government's job? (if so at what level of government: the local village or the United Nations?)



I don't know where people are coming from when they seem to think that people are owed a certain standard of living. I am sorry but it flies in the face of reality to expect that any social structure involving millions of individuals can provide for the expectations of all. It just ain't gonna happen folks.



Once again, I will point out that a) that life is not fair and b) we are not equal in skills, talents and capabilities. If you think either of that life is fair or that we are equal in what we contribute to society, then you are living in an entirely different universe than the one that planet I have come to know and love occupies. And if you have learned nothing from the last two centuries, I would have hoped that your review of history would have taught you that the utopian concept of "to each according to their needs and from each according to their abilities" not only is totally unworkable but it is the rankest folly to try to make it work.



But it isn't fair that some people have all they want and then some, while others go without. No. Fairness is not a part of this equation.



But it is not right that some people go without while others have a surplus. Says who? Religion? Be careful when citing religious texts, because you can "prove" and support anything you want from them.



Granted, I would say that it is the best interest of those who can to help those in need, but that is different than those in need expecting that others will provide for them. Unfortunately, what we see in stories like the one run by CNN is that we have raised people in this country to expect that someone else will provide the means for them to achieve their expectations.



The sad thing, to me it seems, that the level our expectations have risen so far that we have lost sight of what really is needed. We have, in many instances, become consumed with the need to fulfill our material expectations that far exceed what we need to survive and possibly thrive. No, we take for granted that all the little luxuries that we enjoy - from food to clothing to transportation to housing to entertainment, without realizing the true value of these things.



Folks, we in the US have it so good ... even our poor ... that it almost is obscene, if you compare it to the standard of living for probably the vast majority of the world's population.We have maybe 5 percent of the world's population but say 25 percent of its material goods, if not more. All those things we take for granted - cars, cellphones, computers, television sets - well, you get the drift.



No, I am not trying to keep others down ... hell, folks, I don't think I made over the median income level until I was four years from being forced to quit working because my heart gave out ... and then it was at the median level. And I never felt disadvantaged during all those years, but that was because I wasn't taught to expect anyone else to give me anything.



Yes, I expected a return for my labors, and I pretty much got that everywhere I went. But then again, I know, times have changed ... and attitudes have changed ... and we are the worse for it.



Just remember, the minimum wage is not, can not, could never be, was never intended to be able to provide subsistence for more than one person ... and that person absolutely devoid of any skills, training or more than basic education.



This "living wage" mantra is bovine scatology of the highest order ... and we should recognize it as such when we start turning to government to guarantee that everybody is provided it (like what if you don't have a wife and two kids?)



Ok, I am through for the moment ... but you need to think about what you wish for ... you just might get it and it may turn out not to be what you expect.




No comments: