Friday, October 26, 2012

Weird report: What plane crash?

Strange story
Ok, summary of the link above by the Associated Press: Military vote outreach officials are telling voting officials in various states that a plane crash on Oct.19, 2012, in Afghanistan apparently appears to have allegedly destroyed 4,500 pounds of service members’ mail, but they are not sure. Included in this load were an undetermined amount of absentee ballots. Would they send out new ones?
Now, this is not outside the realm of possibility. However, having said that, why do none of the public affairs offices in the theater make any reference to such an accident? Hello, these are the people who write press releases when a coalition aircraft makes a hard landing, much less gets its cargo burned up in a crash.
I have gone through my “usual” suspects when I am trying to find out about what the military is putting out, just to check to see if I missed something, but I can find no reference to said crash. Interesting, however, is the ISAF Joint Operations release for the next day now is missing, but that is just interesting.
I am not crying foul, but my experiences with the Military Postal System do not give me much faith that “replacement” absentee ballots will get to Afghanistan and back in anywhere near enough time. Makes one wonder exactly how many absentee ballots were on that “alleged” plane.
Something about this story is funky, and I don’t know what it is, but it is sending off all sorts of warning bells in my mind.
If anyone can find a reference to this accident dated prior to Oct. 25, 2012, I would surely like to read it, because I can’t. In addition, none of the military public affairs sites reference any aircraft losses on Oct. 19: ZIP, zero, nada, zilch; and no crashes with or without casualties.

The only reference I can find to a crash on the airbase is this one Afghan report of helicopter
"US helicopter crashes in Shindand airbase HERAT, Oct. 21 – Officials of Islamic Emirate reporting from Herat province state that a US helicopter crashed inside Shindand airbase due to technical difficulties. The helicopter is said to have crash landed at dusk time Friday inside the mega base, catching fire upon impact and killing all the invaders and crew aboard. It is worth reminding that a couple of days earlier, a UNAMA helicopter also crashed in Bamyan province due to technical issues, killing all the foreigners and hirelings aboard."

No comments: