Sunday, September 16, 2007

Random Thoughts 11

My rant today is about OJ Simpson. Enough already even. I see where Simpson supposedly has been arrested for an incident in Las Vegas where he and his bodyguard entourage allegedly rousted a couple of entrepreneurs who were auctioning off his memorabilia ... which apparently had been illicitly acquired. Well, I really would not like to get worked up over this, but its headline status on the news makes me want to throw up. I guess I am tired of this apparent fixation on Simpson, the murder of his ex-wife and all the other stuff about this once-great football player and sometime movie star.

Why oh why do we get so hung up on celebrities like him? Is it because he is "black" and got away with murder? OK, I don't know if it murdered his ex, the criminal jury said there was reasonable doubt, a civil jury said the preponderance of evidence was that he was responsible for the two deaths and now every one is coming out of the woodwork to say that a book that was ghost written for him is the real truth and Simpson is confessing. Well, they say that confession is good for the soul but I hope the book flops. Of course, given all the media attention, it won't and thousands, if not millions, of copies will be sold.

I guess I want to be an ostrich went it comes to celebrities and just ignore them. Who cares what idiots like Simpson, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears, Brad Pitt, Angeline Jolie, Katie Couric (did I leave out any names I saw on the front of the checkout rags I saw at the grocery store when I got milk last?) happen to be doing, thinking or outraging?

I know ... it is what passes for news these days ... much like the news of who was appearing in the Colosseum in Rome this week was for the Romans two millennia ago (or was it 15 centuries, who the flip cares?)

I sometimes feel like the Rearden guy in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged ... trapped in this world and wanting to change it so people would focus on reality ... but then I could go off on the tangent of whose reality. Anyway, the Sunday New York Times (9/16/07) had an interesting piece that book and Rand's Objectivism philosophy has had on a lot of business leaders.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/15/business/15atlas.html?em&ex=1190088000&en=cd6337257785a5ce&ei=5087%0A

OK, I guess I am done ranting now.

Oh, and for those who want another perspective on Iraq, George Bush, etc.

http://english.pravda.ru/news/world/14-09-2007/97145-bush_iraq-0

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a newspaper editor rather peeved at having to bump a perfectly good story from the front page because some id-10-T did something so completely back-assward it just had to make front page news. Good rant, Mr. B.