Friday, January 29, 2016

Random Thoughts and Readings from 29 Jan 2016

Reminder: Most of the comments below are links to stories being commented upon. I urge you to read the links for background to my commentary.

As we close out the month and the week, I suppose I should post my passing observations and commentary on the articles, etc., which have caught my attention of late. I hope you find them informative, if not interesting, educational, thought-provoking and possibly entertaining. With that we once forth venture into the breach:

While this video commentary is directed at conservatives and Republicans, I think its message should really be listened to by all Americans. Whatever our differences, we should always remember that in the end we are all on the same team ... or at least I would hope so.

This former Marine's rebuke to Michelle Obama speaks to a core issue about race and being an American. Either we rise to the level of being Americans or even just humans, or we will find outselves mired in divisiveness and conflict. Consider that for awhile.

Like most apocalyptic forecasts, it seems another one passed this week without happening. You want to know why I am a skeptic about all the hue and cry about the impending disasters from climate change (or whatever is the appropriate term for it these days), this is why. Folks, the science is not settled ... in fact it harbors too many assumptions and leaves out too many variables to be dependable.

An essay in defense of President Obama and John Kerry's handling of relations with Iran, especially after the seizure of the two patrol boats and their release. A thought-provoking article, but not necessarily one that I find completes the circle. I find it leaves other issues unanswered.

Another commentary on what the US owes - if anything - to Taiwan and its Asian allies. This is an issue that we need to consider as a people, because it most likely will be a point where we will have to choose whether conflict is in our interet or not.

I find it unfortunate that Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton felt it necessary to express himself this way. Undoubtedly, on some quarters, he indeed is intimidating - if not scary and frightening - but he neither scares nor intimidates me ... and I would hope that would be the case for most fans of American football. He is, without a doubt, a very talented athlete and leader and that is what we should be celebrating.

I almost led with this item: Alas and alack, an icon will be built no more. Sigh ... and ever since I was a teen-ager I wanted one ... you know they are virtually indestructible.

The sad thing is the cartoon probably has it right. Cursive is our new hieroplyphics. I have to admit my own penmanship is atrocious and my signature is illegible ... but I can still read it.

Interesting analysis of the the electorate in 2016 ... and trying to deduce where the "missing white" vote which apparently sat out earlier elections went and whether it will reemerge this cycle.

Interesting analysis of the 2016 election prospects from a different point of view ... sort of a qualitative assessment which - if it is correct - does not bode well for the Democrats and indicates the Republicans have the best chance at winning the White House - regardless of who their candidates are.

This is a view on the Russian perspective and why it is somewhat scary ... for many reasons.

This is a rather longish commentary on how the US can avoid going to war with the Russians. The question is whether following this proscription really is in the best interest of the US and the West.

This is one of those economic indicators that no one ever talks about but actually truly reflects the status and future of the world economy (as well as national economies) ... Folks, the outlook is not good ... but that doesn't surprise me in and of the least.

This is a good article that points out the problem with how we view many of our political leaders these days. We expect a president to be able to do far more to solve problems than one person can do without becoming an authoritarian dictator. Granted, a large chunk of people in any country are comfortable with that ... and that is scary

A little backgrounder and explainer on how the Iowa caucuses came to be and how they work ... just in case you are interested.

I happen to agree with the premise here espoused by Victor Hanson ... I often do ... but I think it is wrong if not illegal to try to strip Gen. Patreaus of a star.

To me, in my humble opinion, the question of Ted Cruz's citizenship ranks up there with questions of Obama's or McCain's ... which in other words ... it is a non-issue with me ... but then opponents will stoop to anything to discredit or disqualify other candidates.

I have made this case for years: Standing on principle is good, but if you oppose something you need to have a replacement, a solution, something to hang on to while you make the change.

This commentary is focused on changes in the military, but it really makes the point about all human activities and innovation and changes at all levels and activities in our world ... The Prince's advisor was right.

While this author obviously supports Planned Parenthood, she makes a good point how the Houston grand jury's decision to indict two undercover journalists on somewhat sketchy and technical charges should be sending a chill of self-censorship thought the field of investigative journalism.

When you are considering the PPH indictments in Texas, you might also want to consider these points ... which are valid, in my humble opinion.

Interesting that this should be brought up ... as it is a point that I have often made ... of course the question is how relevant is the context of the Treaty of Westphalia in today's environment and does it possibly hold some key to peace in the Middle East.

Probably - in a more realistic world - Sen. McCain would be correct. I am just not sure the American people have the stomach for it with our current generational outlook. It was easier in the 1950s and 1960s when there really was a bear to be watching for.

Boy, is the US Navy being very careful not to offend the Iranians these days ... either that or they are able to discern whether drones actually pose a threat or not ... or maybe it didn't show up on radar ... and that prospect is scary

The funny thing about this story is that it ignores the truth that slavery was common, if not rampant, among the Native American tribes themselves. So we are to condemn European settlers for allowing the same practice. I really have a problem with that.

Rut-RO! The WaPo rips apart Bernie Sanders campaign promises and platform ... not good for the Bern

This is how the rest of the world is being informed about the foreign policy platforms of some of the leading candidates for president (of both parties). Note that the Voice of America is the official US government outlet.

Next to last, but not least, is this report from the Boston Globe on Thursday's GOP debate (without Trump) ... Having sat through both rounds, I found it probably the most accurate account so far.

I have seen this progressive meme posted in several place ... I offer this as a its counter point ... remember folks ... there is no free lunch ... no matter how much you want to believe there can be one.

No comments: