Sunday, May 27, 2012

Random Thoughts

I have notice a recent trend in stories on various web sites. All of them blame this group or that group for the impending demise of man.

You know something, maybe I am too cynical or something, but I find it the height of hubris to believe that any single man or group really is control of things that happen on our planet. No, the world is less like a ride on a roller coaster than it is a ride on a toboggan. On a roller coaster, there always is that knowledge that somewhere there lurks somebody (or a computer) that can slam on the brakes; in essence meaning that somewhere somebody is in control. On a steep enough hill with enough moguls, on a toboggan, no body really is in control and you just try to guide it to a safe stop.

The world is like that. People like to think they are in control, but … we aren’t and never will be. I don’t care if you are the pope, the president of the United States or some nefarious group that make up the usual conspiracy suspects. None of those people really are or can “control” events. They might be able to have some influence as to which way the toboggan flies, but they are not really controlling its fate.

Whether it is global climate change, or any of a host of other natural  threats to mankind, there really is little that we can do to actually change what those will do. Oh, we can tinker around the edges, but it really is not going to change what happens much.

It is just like peace is not going to break out … sorry, too many people and too many are not built that way. Unfortunately for mankind, war and conflict will remain its lot for a long time to come.

Unlike some, I don’t see “humanism” and “reason” coming to the rescue. And I don’t even pretend to know what God, where and whatever form he/she/it takes, plans to do. I would like to think that there is a plan, somewhere, but I don’t know.  But to lay the blame for all the world ills on humans strikes me as more than being self-centered.

Yes, humans do have an impact on the environment. Yes, a lot of that impact is negative. I suppose it would be a better world if there were less of a human impact, but I will be damned if I can figure out where to start, because as an American, I am really in a small minority.  Yes, we have good in my country, but does that mean that we should surrender all our advanced “things” in order to make everybody “equal”? I suppose that would be “fair”. At least that is what our president says he wants: for everything here to be “fair”.

Anyway … nuff said.

For those who are interested

http://www.lulu.com/shop/rich-browne/i-remember/ebook/product-17349496.html

No comments: