Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Martin case

First, I only know what I have read on the internet … and that means I really haven’t a clue about what happened back on that February night in Florida. Having said that I am appalled by the divisive and lynch mob atmosphere its aftermath has generated.

First, the suspect was “arrested” or at least “detained” at local police headquarters and then released for lack of evidence under Florida law that a crime was committed.

It seems readily apparent that both men involved made a series of bad choices that led to the tragic incident. Regardless, it is time to let the legal system do its work and stop demanding that one result or the other be the outcome. That merely is mob law and we all know how wrong that is … or do we?

I don’t think we do. And I think there are some in 21st century American society who want there to be racial divides in this country. Well, as long as we think in racial terms, we will be racists – all of us.

IF we think of others in terms of their ethnicity or the color of  their skin, then we are being racist. There is no two-ways around it.

In this case, I don’t know how much race has played into the tragedy, but I do think race is being exploited by those who seek to discredit authority … and that is a long tradition in this country (at least since the 19 60s).

It is sad that a young person had to die, but it even more tragic that patience is no longer part of our collective psyche.

No comments: